After all the experience gained last year with my Raptobike Tilting Trike, I started to lay down all the things that should be improved:
- It should be possible for solar panels to be oriented toward the sun in order to gain always maximum efficiency
- Solar power should be increased from current 200W, which has often resulted insufficient also for bad quality of solar panels, to 300W
- Raptobike frame used in 2018 is pretty “high” which means that the center of gravity is negatively affected
- Falco hub motor has been unfortunately quite poor in terms of:
- ease of use
- overheating in steep hills
- regenerative braking sometimes not working
- average consumption
- setting for power parameters not very flexible
I also realized that my previous 2017 Solar Bike, based on a M5 recumbent bike, was laying in the back of the garage while may be it could have been re-used for my future projects…
The first obstacle for reusing this recumbent bike is that since it is a “rear wheel driven” bike I cannot install my tilting mechanism.
Therefore I started to design an upgrade to transform it into a “Front Wheel Drive” bike.
Below the first steps of this structural upgrade to FWD bike
After few weeks of work, new parts installations (idlers, clamps) and tuning the new M5 FWD is ready to be tested!
This is to show how the chain is located around the fork to implement the FWD architecture.
– First picture on the right: with the chain on the largest sprocket the actual chain line is perfect.
– Second picture: with the chain on the smallest sprocket there is practically no space with the fork: this happens only with the 11 teeth (seldom used…), so for the moment this is not going to be a real issue.